Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Houses

Tomorrow, Chris and I are going to close on a house. This time tomorrow night, I will legally be a homeowner.

That's so weird to me.

Part of that probably has to do with the fact that all I did was write a check for the down payment. Chris dealt with the realtor and took care of all the paperwork and meetings and red tape and whatnot on his own. He's always been the more responsible one anyway. Heck, I haven't even seen the inside of the house yet. I'm looking forward to finally getting to see it tomorrow right before we officially close.

I kinda hate that term, "close." It sounds so needlessly official. But I guess it's more efficient than "signing a few papers last minute to conclusively transfer ownership after the deal has already been worked out well in advance."

This will mark the fifth house I've lived in in as many years. This time five years ago I was still living at my parents' house. Not long after that, I took up residence at Highland Ave for a few months, and immediately following that I transferred to the Farm for just about twice as long as Highland Ave, and then we made the move down here to our current establishment, where we've been for almost four years. That fact is staggering to me. We've lived here for the better part of four years. And in less than a month and a half, we'll be moving one more time. One last time.

I normally stress over the titles of these posts. I try to make them clever or punny or to include some kind of reference to some work of fiction or piece of pop culture, but I didn't try on this one. I just labeled it with one word that sums up the backbone of the content of the post. Of course, as it always goes, I had way more to say when I first opened up this tab to start blogging; as well I should, I've only posted once this year and that was over five months ago. It's been an interesting five months, to say the least.

But here we are again, having written out the factual skeleton for the post but lacking the meat of the content I set out to lay down. Maybe part of the problem is that I already expressed some of my thoughts last night via the good ole 5 AM Twitter Confessional, and I fear posting them here would be redundant. I guess I kind of intended to expound upon those thoughts in long-form here, but it doesn't seem to be playing out that way.

And welcome to life, ladies and gentlemen. Intentions and plans? What good are they?

I guess I really only blog when something is bothering me. That's the lesson to take away from this exercise. Because when nothing is bothering you, why blog? Just go live your life. Enjoy it, because there's nothing holding you back. But a blog... that's a place of existential discourse. Or at least that's how it is round these parts.

Maybe the actual signing of the papers tomorrow and the official ownership will have some sort of effect on me. Maybe I can come back tomorrow for "Houses: Part 2" with a bit more clarity, and manage to muster the ability to say what I wanted to say. I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment