Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Confession, A Confirmation, And A Consideration

What you are about to read may shock you. It's not easy for me to say this, especially in light of the convictions I've espoused over the last few years, and everything I've done to uphold them. But, in the interest of diversity and experimentation, and a deep-seated yearning to explore every aspect of the human experience, I feel my actions were justified. All I ask is that you read this with an open mind, and don't judge me for what I'm about to say.

I watched Batman Begins the other day, and I didn't hate it. Okay, that wasn't hard to say at all. In all honesty, I think it was a pretty friggin cool movie. This was my first viewing of that motion picture since the first time I saw it on DVD in the fall of 2005. I've come to the conclusion that the reason I hated it so much when I first saw it was because I was under the faulty impression that it was boring, due to the fact that I was falling asleep the entire time I watched it. I have, several times since then in fact, suspected that the movie was not actually boring, but that I was simply too tired to stay awake for the duration. When my 5 year old brother, who has been on a Batman kick recently, requested to watch it, I, wide awake, decided to give the movie another chance and sit down and watch it with him. Frankly, I was riveted. Granted, it's no Spider-Man 2, but it was a cool movie in its own right, and definitely worthy of being a setup to the masterpiece that was The Dark Knight. I suppose my biggest gripe with it (aside from the ninja training, which I don't think I'll ever accept) was the fact that it was a little too drawn out, and the villains lacked substance. On its own, it's okay, but I think it's best viewed as a feature-length introduction to The Dark Knight, and honestly, I'm fine with that.

On to the next item of business: I can confirm that that rumors you may have heard are true. I will be in Virginia from May 6th to May 16th. Sean and Becca are getting married on May 8th in Fairfax, and naturally there's no way I would miss that. Of course, I could always just skip town after the wedding and head back up to New York, but you all know that's not how I roll. Thus, I'll be in Lynchburg for the last remaining days of the semester, and I'll be leaving the day after graduation. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited, both at the prospect of seeing two good friends receive their license to get it on, and at the opportunity to spend another week in Lynchburg before I more than likely never go back.

It does weird me out a little bit though. For one thing, I was supposed to be getting my Masters Degree at this upcoming commencement ceremony, but, with things the way they are, I'll just be watching from the stands. In truth, I'm not all that disappointed; I never really did see myself getting that degree anyway. The thing that really freaks me out though is that the kids who were freshmen when I was a junior are now graduating seniors. All those weird guys that descended on 22-3 while my mind was clouded with other things are about to be college graduates. This makes me feel old. And what's worse, time is not slowing down. Quite the contrary, in fact; it goes by more quickly now than ever. I'm 23 years old and I'm afraid the best days of my life are over. Nay, afraid is not quite the right term; "fairly certain" is a much better way of putting it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not grumbling about my current circumstances (I'll save that for another post when I'm in a bad mood), I'm just acknowledging that my life has reached a stage with which I am not all that pleased, and there's nothing I can do about it because you can't rewind time. I'm not sure that I'd want to rewind time even if I could though. I'd probably screw more things up than anything else.

I guess that's the best I can do with what's rattling around in my head right now. I find lately that it's getting harder and harder to nail down exactly what it is I want to say. Usually I've got one or two overarching themes that branch out into numerous subthemes with their own motifs and nuances, but it's hard to wrangle them all into one cohesive post without venturing into ramble territory. Maybe I'm just getting senile.

No comments:

Post a Comment